Work with the New Canaan Land Trust
The following positions are currently available. Please see individual positions for application instructions.
Community Engagement Coordinator – TerraCorp Service Opportunity
Click HERE to view this posting on the TerraCorp Website
About the New Canaan Land Trust:
The New Canaan Land Trust (NCLT) works to foster a connection between people and their natural surroundings through the conservation and stewardship of open space. In our 53-year history, we have protected nearly 400 acres of land in our community. Half of that acreage is open the public, with 5.5 miles of walking trails meandering through 10 different preserves around town. At these preserves, we work to protect and enhance the conservation values of the land by restoring habitats, rebuilding historic stone walls, providing opportunities for passive recreation, and more. NCLT also strives to engage the New Canaan community in our work. We’ve developed internships, volunteer opportunities, guided walk series, lectures, and other programs that educate participants about the importance of protecting and caring for our natural resources.
NCLT is nationally accredited by the Land Trust Alliance’s Accreditation Commission, and works solely in the suburban town of New Canaan, CT. We are governed by dedicated Board of Directors, led by a full time Executive Director, and supported by seasonal staff. Though less than an hour from New York City, the town of New Canaan is a quaint suburban community with a thriving downtown village, rich artistic and architectural history, and multiple non-profits that serve New Canaan and surrounding communities.
The New Canaan Land Trust mandates that all staff and TerraCorps Service Members be fully vaccinated before the start of the TerraCorps service year.
The reason we are mandating vaccination is because the Community Engagement Coordinator will spend a significant amount of time serving in-person with volunteers, staff, and community members. Therefore, the expectation is that all staff and AmeriCorps members are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
New Canaan Land Trust has proposed the following potential project(s) for their Community Engagement Coordinator:
- Create and manage a robust volunteer program that: routinely engages volunteers in a wide range of service opportunities; supports multiple land trust programs; recruits new volunteers and supporters, and; recognizes volunteers for their service.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of the 2022 New Canaan Sculpture Trail, a collaborative outdoor art exhibition that first began in 2020 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day (details from last year’s exhibition can be found at https://sculpture.newcanaanlandtrust.org.)
- Work with the Land Trust’s Events Committee to develop and execute regular programs and events with other non-profits, community groups, and land trusts from surrounding tows to expand our reach and impact.
- Explore opportunities to engage school students with the land trust during the school year (through field trips, in-class programs, or other opportunities).
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Able to serve both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfort navigating computer software programs (Microsoft Office, Google Drive, social media platforms, WordPress, Mailchimp and/or graphic design software)
- Training and experience pertinent to the Community Engagement Coordinator position and projects outlined above
- Experience planning and executing events of various size and complexity
- Experience training and/or educating community members and volunteers
- Experience assessing community needs and developing programs to address those needs
- Marketing and/or promotional experience, or developing public information materials
How to Apply:
Member applications will be collected by TerraCorps and shared with Service Sites. Do not send applications directly to a Service Site.
A complete member application includes a resume, two references, and an application form. To complete the application click here.
We strongly encourage interested individuals to apply as soon as possible once applications are posted. Position offers and acceptances will be made on a rolling basis. The program aims to fill all positions by late July, but Service Sites will continue interviews as needed until all positions are filled.
For questions about TerraCorps, contact Lianna Lee, who manages TerraCorps’ recruitment process. Email email@example.com or call 978-364-9770.
Click here to return to the list of Service Site Position Descriptions.
The New Canaan Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.