Work with the New Canaan Land Trust
The following positions are currently available. Please see individual positions for application instructions.
Seasonal Land Steward
Seasonal, Part Time
Accepting Applications. Posted March 29, 2021.
Download a PDF of this job description HERE.
The New Canaan Land Trust seeks a seasonal, part-time Land Steward to help manage its 400-acre portfolio of properties. The position will primarily include field work, with some remote work from home and/or at the NCLT office. This is a unique, hands-on opportunity to gain experience with land management, GPS/GIS, and following best practices for land stewardship.
- Conduct and document inspections of the Land Trust’s 65 fee-owned properties and 14 conservation easements, in accordance with Land Trust Alliance’s Standards & Practices.
- With the support of the Executive Director, and in accordance with NCLT’s policies, resolve minor encroachment issues identified during property inspections.
- Steward NCLT preserves by:
- Mowing property frontages, trails, parking areas, and seating areas, as needed (usually on a two-week rotation).
- Maintaining trails for public access by clearing fallen trees or branches, repairing trail infrastructure, etc.
- Completing other land stewardship projects as assigned.
- Maintain records of work, including weekly logs and progress reports.
- Provide weekly updates to the Executive Director.
- Age 18 or older, with high school diploma.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in natural resource issues related to land management, recreation, and stewardship.
- Interest in working outdoors in variable weather conditions, and completing physically demanding projects.
- Experience working with a variety of hand tools commonly used in land management, including saws, loppers, rakes, shovels, pick-axes, etc.
- Strong work ethic, ability to work independently, and able to solve problems.
- A valid, insurable US driver’s license, and willingness to drive a full-sized pickup truck.
- Preferred: Experience operating power tools including a weed whacker or chainsaw.
- Preferred: Experience with GPS, map/compass, or other wayfinding systems.
- Preferred: Experience with trail maintenance or construction.
- Preferred: Basic rough carpentry skills.
This seasonal position is available late-May through early-September, and the exact start and end dates are flexible. Preference will be given to candidates who can work for the majority of the listed duration.
This part time position will average 15 hours per week, and will not exceed 20 hours per week. There is a fair amount of flexibility in the work schedule, with the only firm time commitments being on Wednesdays (or on weekends, if preferred), when NCLT’s truck and power tools are available to the Land Steward and are not being used by NCLT’s Summer Internship Program.
This is an hourly position, paid bi-weekly. The hourly rate will be $15-$17 per hour, based on the experience and qualifications of the applicant. Personal vehicle mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal rate. NCLT carries worker’s compensation insurance for all employees, and does not offer any additional benefits to seasonal employees.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete applications sent to this address will be considered. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
The New Canaan Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.