Work with the New Canaan Land Trust
The following positions are currently available. Please see individual positions for application instructions.
Stewardship Intern Program Manager
Seasonal, Full Time
Accepting Applications. Posted January 25, 2020.
Download a PDF of this job description HERE.
The New Canaan Land Trust seeks an enthusiastic and self-motivated Manager to run its Summer Steward Internship Program. The ideal candidate will have a passion for land conservation and stewardship, experience working on a variety of land stewardship projects, and a desire to share their knowledge with the next generation of environmentalists. For reference, additional details about the Summer Steward Internship Program can be found HERE.
The Manager’s primary responsibility is to lead interns in completing important land stewardship projects across the Land Trust’s network of 65+ properties. These projects include, but are not limited to, trail construction and maintenance, tree planting and pruning, and invasive species removal. The Manager is also responsible for planning experiential learning opportunities for the interns, including field trips to other local conservation organizations and workshops with environmental professionals. This combination of work and education provides a rewarding experience for our interns, and is bolstered by the strong leadership of the Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure the safety of and serve as a role-model for all participants of the internship program.
- Develop weekly work plans that balance the stewardship and educational objectives of the program. At the start of the week, communicate this plan to interns, parents, and the Executive Director.
- Lead interns in completing stewardship projects to the highest possible standard.
- Ability to properly demonstrate safe and effective tool-use (loppers, saws, pry bars, etc.).
- Track the progress of projects and provide weekly updates to the Executive Director.
- Write weekly updates for the Land Trust’s blog and create/post relevant content to social media.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience completing various land stewardship projects (especially those mentioned above) and safe usage of the tools commonly used to complete those projects. Experience operating a chainsaw and/or basic carpentry skills are a plus
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially experience working with volunteers or high school students
- A valid driver’s license is required, as is a willingness to drive a full-sized pick-up truck
- Applicants must be able to pass a background check (CORI and SORI)
Duration & Hours: The 11-week position will start on June 7, 2021 and conclude on August 20, 2021. There is some flexibility in the start date, but the Manager must be able to work through August 20, 2021. Hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. The Manager typically works with interns from 9am – 3pm, and uses the remaining time to finish projects, plan upcoming programs, and check in with the Executive Director.
Compensation: Weekly salary of $600 – $800, commensurate with qualifications and experience. NCLT carries worker’s compensation insurance for employees, and does not offer additional benefits to seasonal employees. Two paid personal days are allowed, plus one additional paid day off for the July 4th weekend.
Training: The Manager will work closely with the Executive Director for 1-2 weeks prior to the start of the internship programs. During that time, the Manager and Executive Director will develop a list of projects, set goals and expectations, begin formalizing workshops and field trips, and lay a solid foundation for the program’s success. After this week, the Manager is expected to run the internship programs with minimal assistance.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications sent to this address will be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The New Canaan Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.