Land Trust Properties and Easements
The New Canaan Land Trust manages close to 400 acres of land across 70 parcels, so there is a good chance that you live near a Land Trust property. Use the interactive map below to find a property near you, and use the guidelines at the bottom of the page to ensure that you have a safe and successful outing.
Open Properties: Properties that are open to the public are listed in the “Visit a Property” drop-down menu at the top of the page. Each page will have information about the property’s location, access, history, and often feature a downloadable trail map.
Closed Properties: Some of our properties are not open to the public. Those that are closed may sit on ecologically sensitive sites that cannot handle regular foot traffic (wetlands, ponds, etc.), do not have good access, or are simply too small for us to build a trail. We kindly ask that you do not venture on to these closed properties without written permission from the New Canaan Land Trust. If you are interested in accessing these properties for research, education, or other reasons, please contact us.
Dog Policy: We do allow furry friends on our open properties, and our rules are simple:
- Dogs must be leashed at all times, with the exception of the Watson-Symington Woodlands. There, dogs under voice control are allowed to be off-leash from dawn until noon.
- You must pick up any solid waste left by your dog, even if it is deposited off-trail.
- You are responsible for any harm that your dog does to other visitors, their dogs, our property, or our neighbors’ property.
- Please limit the amount of barking so that others may enjoy the natural beauty and sounds of our property.
Other Guidelines: Remember that these properties were generously given to the land trust so that they could be protected in perpetuity. The Land Trust’s primary responsibility is to protect and steward the land; visitation is a privilege. Help us keep keep our properties in their natural state by following these guidelines.
- Open properties should only be visited from dawn until dusk
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed on any Land Trust property
- Camping & campfires are prohibited without written permission from the Land Trust
- Only walk on established trails
- Give wildlife an appropriate amount of space
- Leave what you find so that others may enjoy it (…except litter)
- Be considerate to other visitors and our neighbors